Welcome back and I do hope you have an enjoyable and successful season. To the 103 new members a very warm welcome and we hope you enjoy bowling at “the stadium”. Should you have any difficulty or problem please contact the Manager Stanley Hegan, the ladies section secretary Ellen Gordon, me or any of the duty officers who will be only to happy to assist.
AGM – 22nd AUGUST 2006
Here are a few notes for the many who didn’t attend –
- 100 members attended which was 3 less than last year.
- Honorary Treasurer’s report is on the Club notice board and copies are available at the manager’s office.
- Molly Scott, Bobby Johnston and Mike Merritt were elected to the committee. Details of Officers and sub committees and Ladies section committee membership for the forthcoming year are on the Club notice board.
- Brian Kelso won the prize of free annual subscription for this season.
- Mrs Avril Brown was elected a trustee of the club.
CHANGES TO CLUB OPENING HOURS AND STAFF DUTY ROSTER
Strict control of the club’s spending is necessary in the present difficult financial climate. As a result of a review of the hours worked by all staff the committee has decided that:
- Security duty will begin at 7.00pm rather than 6.15pm Monday to Wednesday, Friday & Saturday and will finish at 11.30pm except for Saturdays when it will be 12 midnight if required to facilitate the bar staff. It will begin at 6.30pm on a Thursday evening and finish at 11.30pm
- There will be no security duty on a Sunday except for a special event.
- Bar will open at 7.00pm and close at 11.30pm Monday to Friday, start at 1.30pm on Saturday and close at 12 midnight if required.
- One member of bar staff will be employed on duty per shift except for a special event.
- The club will close at 6.30pm on a Sunday except for a special event
Annual subscriptions are now due and I wish to remind all members that those who haven’t paid their annual subscription by the 31stOctober will have their membership terminated automatically without further notice on 1st November 2006. Your co-operation with this very important matter would be greatly appreciated.
It is a legal and club requirement that members carry their membership cards with them at all times whilst on the Club premises. In addition, checks will be made to ensure that everyone who is playing is a fully paid up member.
It is most pleasing that we have 103 new members this year so far. But it is important that you continue to encourage as many as possible of your friends and fellow bowlers to join your Club. We need every on of them.
Reminder - a member who introduces someone to the Club and that person is accepted as a full member and pays the subscription, he/she will receive a voucher for 4 free 2-hour sessions and we have a number of members who are currently playing bowls for “free”. You could be one of them so get out there and encourage people to join us.
The entertainments committee is working on a programme of events that will be held over and above the music provided on a Saturday evening. The first event is a Poker Night to be held at 7.30pm on Saturday 7th October. Entry fee is £10 per person to play.
It is hoped that you will support the events arranged for your enjoyment and any suggestions you may have for other events would be welcomed and should be left for the attention of the manager Stanley Hegan. An event will be held at Halloween –
28th October - which will be publicised later in the month
The popular evening coaching sessions held under the direction of Ken Armstrong begins on Monday 2nd October at 7.15pm. These will continue throughout the month of October and November so those who feel they might benefit would be very welcome.
FIRE PRECAUTIONS AND EVACUATION PROCEDURE
The possibility of fire is something we are ever mindful of so we have a fire alarm system that is linked directly to the local fire station. If the fire alarm goes off, whether it is a false alarm or nor, the fire brigade arrives at the stadium within minutes. As a result of a recent inspection, the fire authority has directed that should the fire alarm be activated for any reason, bowling will stop and the stadium evacuated immediately as a matter of course and members will go to an assembly point in the rear car park. When the matter has been dealt with the fire officer will give permission for members to re-enter the stadium. Should the fire alarm go off, I ask that you follow the directions of the manager or our duty officer?
You may be aware we have a club website at www.belfastindoorbowls.com At “results”, details of the results of the various league matches are set out in the different leagues and updated a couple of times a week. So if you wish to keep up-to-date from the comfort of your home you can do so. During last season over 4000 people looked at the results pages.
FINALLY, THIS IS YOUR CLUB AND YOUR NEWSLETTER SO ANY SUGGESTIONS OR IDEAS ON HOW EITHER MIGHT BE IMPROVED WOULD BE WELCOMED. SO DON’T BE SHY.